Sunday, August 17, 2008

Goodbye my puppy....

Friday, August 8 at 4pm we put my puppy to sleep.

Well, she wasn't really a puppy anymore... she was 13. A Border Collie/Husky/Bernese Mountain dog mix.

I remember the first time we saw her. We were at a farmer's market and there was this guy there with a couple box of puppies. Bernie was the big round ball of black and white fur. My roommate picked her up, started petting her, and the dog snuggled down and fell asleep in her arms. Her big green eyes looked at me, the boy's big blue eyes looked at me.... and I knew we were taking the dog home.

We bought a leash, put the puppy in the car... and she puked all the way home *grin*. Took us weeks of ever lengthening car rides before she wouldn't get car sick.

We've known for a while that we were going to have to put her down. She had arthritis, her hearing was going, she had a tumor in her tummy that just kept getting bigger. But... we couldn't. Until this past week. Wednesday we decided... and made the appointment for Friday.

I don't want to talk about it overly much... I think that's why it's taken me so long to write about it.

On the bright side - if that can be said - a friend from work ended up being the one to take the roomie and the dog to the appointment because other plans fell through at the very last minute. Without hesitation, this friend said that she'd do it - despite never actually having met the roomie or the dog before. She sat with the roomie and cried with her... and then brought her out to me at work so we could connect.

All in all... a rough week. Getting used to *not* having her around after 13 years... it's taken some adjustment. I haven't even vaccuumed all the hairy spots.

But I will.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

*soft smoochies*

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home