Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Leaving the nest

The boy (Junior) has decided that, at 18 1/2, he's more than capable of living on his own. He informed us of this a couple of weeks ago.

He's thrilled, his mother is devastated. She doesn't want him to go. He's too young, he'll never survive out there on his own without us! What will he eat?!? Will he get up for work on his own? Who will wash his clothes!!

Me? I'm of mixed thrillage - on the one hand, I'm going to miss him like crazy. He's smart and funny and I just enjoy spending time with him and making him laugh. On the other hand, I left home at 18 to go to school and I survived just fine. I didn't starve and, occassionally, I actually did laundry. On the other hand (yes, I know I'm up to three) the house is going to be blessedly quiet without him and all his friends tramping through the house, running up and down stairs, and their great booming man laughs. You have no idea how loud it is when 6 or 7 18-, 19- and 20-year-olds start laughing at the same thing. It's a loud sound, but very low, rather like thunder. On the other hand.... it's going to be very quiet.

I keep trying to tell his mother that we've done our job - we've given him roots and wings and now he's trying out the wings. I think I could have dealt with him being a nestling for a little longer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ... twill do you all the world of good, ya big sook ... *grins*

10:36 AM  
Blogger Blue Blankie said...

lmao

Well... he's my baby - probably the only one I'll ever have...

Well, actually, I have a couple of years before I run out of time. But I might run out of energy *grin*

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home