Monday, October 31, 2005

The Building of Boxes

So Jodie-girl-who-won't-date-me, her mom's birthday is today.

That's right, she's a Hallowe'en baby. *grin*

Anyway, I love Jodie's mom. She's got a heart as big as all outdoors, she loves her family to death, she'll do anything for you and she opens her home and her heart to many, many people. She's the kind of woman that, if you have to move in three weeks, she'll show up with boxes and tape and help you pack (which she actually did not that long ago).

Did I mention that my mommy bought me a table saw a few weeks ago? *big grin*

I decided that I was going to make Jodie's mom something for her birthday. So I look in my scrap heap of wood and find two chunks of 11 1/2 inch by 12 inch pieces of pine... perfect for the top and bottom. Then I had 2 12 inch pieces of pine... but I couldn't find 2 others. I did, however, have 2 2ft pieces of cedar *grin*.

I spent 3 hours cutting, sanding, and nailing. It turned out great. Except for the part where I couldn't find my tapper to countersink the nails and decided to use a drill bit instead and my thumb slid down the bit and sliced it open. I had to spend extra time sanding off the blood *grin*.

The hardest part was that I had decided, rather than hinging the lid and putting a latch on the front, that I'd carve out the sides of the lid so that it would sit on the inside. That part took forever and it was definitely not a perfect job *grin*.

Then I stained it, let that dry, and verathaned it. Which lead to my second boo boo. I turned the box upside down to let it dry. Unfortunately, I put it on a milk bag. Which meant that this morning, when I lifted the box, I had red and blue stuff all over the lip of the box. *sigh*

So, I take my chisel and sandpaper to work and scrape and sand all that stuff off at my desk. (The cleaning lady is going to love me *grin*)

But you know, it was all worth it when I saw her face. She was absolutely thrilled with it. Turns out she loves wooden boxes and was especially happy that I had taken the time to build one specifically for her. She teared up.

I'll do a better job next time but... I don't know that it'll beat this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i so want to be you when i grow up
:>

hello

5:17 AM  
Blogger Blue Blankie said...

lololol

Thanks darlin' *grin*

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home